Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 07/13/05-04:57:50 PM Z

Thanks, Jack, for the more complete explanation. I was too busy with my
brain wheels turning about a possible gum size to take complete notes on his
processes.

The reason for the interest to those not present at APIS: at the moment, we
have glut, gly and formaldehyde for hardening a gelatin size. All have
questionable toxicity for some people. I personally love glutaraldehyde if
I can ever spell it correctly, and use that in my practice, and I agree with
Ryuji's comments, below. Clay H. has given up glyoxal and gone to chrome
alum. Sandy King uses chrome alum. Katharine, Sam, and others don't size.

Paul's system (having NOTHING to do with a possible size, but part of his
carbon-q process if I remember correctly) is having a 1%-3% amount of
dichromate in the gelatin already, and the hydroquinone amount is so small
(if I remember, 0.5%) that my idea would be to size the paper in a tray of
the di/gelatin, and then pass it thru a bath of the hydroquinone (Paul had
added a pinch of hydroquinone to the gelatin/di mix and voila, instant hard,
which is why I thought to try the bath of hydroquinone). The miniscule
amount of dichromate left after the baths should not be a problem but heck,
until I test it out who knows if it does or doesn't work. I hope others
will try it. Maybe it is a bust. BUT, presuming in a class of students
where you are already teaching gum printing with dichromate, the use of di
and a pinch of hydroquinone would seem to be less toxic than other
choices...perhaps.

As always, theorizing is one thing, trying it out is another. I plan on
trying it out and hope others will, too. I'm not sure how I will try it,
how I will combine it, but I will stick to the proportions that Paul shared
because at this point that is all I have to go on. Like testing to see if
boiled gelatin ruins a size, all you gotta do is boil some gelatin and find
out (which I did, and it doesn't).
Chris