Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 07/14/05-04:20:07 AM Z

> he discovered that
> (Katharine Thayer, this might interest you!!) gelatin with a touch of
> dichromate and then a pinch of hydroquinone instantly hardens into a
rubbery
> mess. He talked about crosslinking of gelatin and gum, and the light bulb
> went off in my head about a new possible way of sizing with less toxic
> stuff.

I believe what's actually taking place here, is the Hydroquinone (Quinol) is
oxidized by the dichromate to form Parabenzoquinone (PBQ alias Quinone).
PBQ is a well-known organic hardening/bleaching agent used for silver halide
emulsions.
However, there are considerable toxic hazards associated with PBQ: e.g. it's
notorious for causing cornea damage.
By the way, you may get similar hardening action from oxidizing Metol
instead of Hydroquinone.

Martin