Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 07/14/05-10:55:43 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening

> Sulfonation renders quinone a nonhardening and nondeveloping
> compound. (...)
> Quinone is extremely unstable in photographic
> solutions because it undergoes very rapid sulfonation
> reaction. Sulfonation renders quinone a nonhardening and nondeveloping
> compound.

Well, sorry for being unclear about that, my "hardening/bleaching" should
have read "hardening-bleaching", the way I referred to Quinone, was limited
on its use as a bleaching agent.

>As far as I know quinone is not used as a hardener in emulsion making,
> coating or processing. It would be a bad choice for such purpose as
> well.

No doubt.

> > By the way, you may get similar hardening action from oxidizing Metol
> > instead of Hydroquinone.
>
> I disagree.

OK, you may give it a try all the same. I don't know what's exactly formed
by oxidizing Metol but it's surely less toxic than Quinone.
In the context of bleaching a silver halide emulsion, the oxidized Metol
definitely does harden a gelatin layer. By the way, that particular
rehalogenating bleach I am referring to, is based on an acid potassium
persulfate solution to which Metol (or in differnt formulas, Hydroquinone or
Amidol) has been added. Within a couple of minutes the Metol being oxidized,
a very potent bleach forms.

Martin