Re: gelatin hardener

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/24/05-04:14:30 AM Z

Chris, I think it's hard to beat glut in those aspects.

The compounds I'm looking at are bis-epoxide compounds that began
commercial production relatively recently, and the compounds that are
lower in toxicity compared to more common bisepoxides. They don't give
off fumes but otherwise they are more tricky to handle than glut (for
example, you'll have to keep the hardener in viscous solution rather
than dilute stock. They slowly react with water and many other
solvents and lose hardening capacity...).

The reason I'm looking at bisepoxides is because they can probably
harden chemically modified gelatins that cannot be hardened by glut,
as well as other non-gelatin polymers that I use as a binder blend.