Re: Fugitive pigments

From: Alan Mynett ^lt;alan@mynett.plus.com>
Date: 07/26/05-12:29:30 AM Z

Hello David,

I've been using a Philips facial solarium for alt exposures for over a
year now. Its radiation is UVA (315nm - 400nm) which is the
'safest'(relatively speaking) of the three regions into which ultra
violet light is general divided. (UVB is 280-315nm - causes sunburn -
and UVC is 200-280nm - this is used in UV sterilisers). Even so, it's
not safe to look directly at UVA, (and frankly I think I'd pass on the
intended suntanning role of the lamp!) . It can start the process of
damaging the eye's lens which will ultimately lead to cataracts in later
life.

I built a cradle for the lamp to rest on. This puts the bulbs about
2inches above my printing frame and prevents any UV light leakage.
I've been using exposure times of 3 to 4 minutes for both cyanotypes
and gums - though (very) preliminary test with Mark Nelson's PDN
suggests that I ought to be using around 6 to 8 minutes. (Sunlight in
the UK is hardly consistent enough to be of practical use - at least
for a control freak like me!).

--
Best wishes
 Alan