Re: Good day for drying sized papers outside!

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/26/05-10:21:34 PM Z

From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
Subject: Good day for drying sized papers outside!
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:43:18 -0400

> If you enjoyed drying your sized papers outdoors in South Caroliona
> you are missing out today on a great opportunity. This morning at
> 10am the temperature outdoors in the shade was 92 degrees F, with 88%
> humidity. The good news is that as of 2:30 pm the RH has gone done to
> 52%, but the temperature just hit 100.5, and it is still rising. Your
> papers would be dry almost as fast as you could hang them up.

That sounds like hell. Even in Boston, I find it more difficult to
make silver gelatin emulsion in summer than winter, when I can get
plenty of ice cold water out of the tap. Fridge is of little help. I
need an ice machine in my studio! (A hot solution has to be cooled
to below 20C at one point in the making process, but my tap water is
like 25C in a good day!)

I also hate shooting in humid weather. They fog my viewfinder. The
only two kinds of usable cameras are view camera and TLR (and of
course digital camera).

Ryuji