RE: Organization of archives

From: Schuyler Grace ^lt;schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: 07/27/05-10:44:55 AM Z

And one thing to consider is that good old analog (archival media, of
course) is the best long term solution to archiving something like a
photographic image. By storing actual prints or negatives or
transparencies, you'll always be able to read them, no matter how technology
changes (short of our eyes being superseded). That's one of the reasons
NASA decided to send up an analog audio disk (aka: a record, for those of us
old enough to still remember those quaint old things (and rotary dial
phones, to pick up from another recent thread)) on each of the Voyager
missions--a waveform analogous to the original sound was already there,
making mechanical replay a relatively simple process. If they had sent up a
CD or a digital tape and the playback hardware/software had broken down or
the storage medium had been corrupted, whatever race found the recording
would probably not be able to recover it.

In our world, colors may shift or fade and films/emulsions/papers may
deteriorate, especially when processed stored improperly, but there will
most likely still be some sort of a readable, recoverable image remaining.
Where bits and bytes are concerned, that is often not the case.

-Schuyler