RE: Organization of archives

From: Schuyler Grace ^lt;schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: 07/27/05-12:13:38 PM Z

Your comments regarding "the original" have, like, totally blown my mind,
man! On the flip side of the coin, I think this is a valid point to raise
with those who still view photographic arts as little or nothing more than
mechanical printmaking, not "real" art. One of their criteria for real art
is that each piece is unique--something that is true even when an
experienced practitioner is using factory produced materials, because there
are still subjective components to making a photographic print. And when
considering the variables--materials, process, and human--inherent in
handmade (i.e., alternative process) prints, what we do is much more like
creating a painting than a print from a press (not that there's anything
wrong with making a bazillion identical copies).

But I agree, Dags can be extremely beautiful things, and that's partially
due to their own uniqueness.

-Schuyler