Re: Direct Carbon Business Wise

From: Art Chakalis ^lt;achakali@wideopenwest.com>
Date: 07/31/05-09:50:06 AM Z

John,

I will attempt to answer your questions. Please feel free to contact me
off-line if I missed the mark.

Bill Foster is an accomplished photographer and printer who has worked
in a wide variety of processes. His printing includes Fresson in the
era when he could obtain Fresson paper through his association with
Echague. Bill is a personal friend and without wanting to replay the
entire story published in Post Factory Photography, we had planned to
visit the Fresson workshop together. In the 11th hour he suffered a
heart attack which precluded our plans to visit the workshop together.
Thankfully he has since fully recovered.

As to why the Fresson family no longer supplies paper is anyone's
guess. I would think that the Fresson's stopped selling the paper for a
variety of possible reasons. I can conclude only one thing and that is
that they did not need the income from paper sales to sustain themselves.

As to Nadeau, I am at a loss. I have had several phone conversation
with him over the years. The first of which was to order a sample print
as he had offered in one of his very first books . . . my hypothesis is
that my print will someday show up strapped to the back of the turtle
that he sent down the road in the 80's. All kidding aside, I am not
aware of any prints made by Nadeau which leads me to surmise that he is
still working out the bugs in his coating machine and/or chemistry.

As to convenience, I think the only way that the process will be widely
(as in alternative printing widely . . . a minuscule portion of the
photographic market) used is through the availability of print paper. I
hope to do this but technical success and business success have nothing
to do with each other. Lastly, as a fall back there maybe some simple
ways to coat the paper which would make it somewhat more practical to
produce one's own. As of right now I can honestly tell you that I have
not figured that one out but I don't intend to ignore it. The
investment for my semi manual coating method is more than what the
average person would ever consider and once its refined to further
improve the paper's quality I can assure you it requires a zeal that
transcends finances.

Sincerely, Art