Re: Why Winsor & Newton?

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 06/01/05-07:37:02 AM Z

Katharine wrote:
> Just so you know, one of the pigments in that paint, basic violet 10, is
> fugitive. (The other pigment is PR122, quinacridone magenta).

Interesting, but Page gives it 3 stars, her highest rating, saying
lightfastness is very good. Maybe because the PR122 is lightfast enough to
carry the PV10. I wonder exactly what the PV10 contributes to the color.

>> (CZA) Katharine, I did buy one of the last tubes of genuine gamboge a
>> while back
>> (PY34),
> (KT) Actually that's NY24....
> (CZA)I tried my darnedest to find a tube of
>> chrome yellow (PY24)
> (KT) Actually that's PY34... PY24 is Flavanthrone which isn't used in any
> watercolor paint.

 (CZA) Whoops, got em backwards...

> (CZA) to test the old adage that chrome colors affect the
>> process adversely, but to no avail.
> (KT) I've used viridian and chromium oxide green, both chromium paints,
> with
> no problem. I'm convinced that's just another myth.

(CZA) That would be my guess, too. BUT, it was repeated often enough in the
lit to test it. Demachy--it either caused spontaneous insolubilization or
didn't allow the coat to harden, Kosar said insolubilization, then Crawford,
Frederick, Reeve, Scopick, Blacklow, Hirsch.....that is just with a quick
once-thru on my notes. I'm not saying that repeating it makes it true, of
course :)

Back in the day, they used to use chromic acid in the mix to give more
hardening, so perhaps they assumed the chromate in pigment would do the
same? So you didn't find that either viridian or chromium oxide green
required either more or less development? Do you think you can extrapolate
from that, that chrome yellow would behave the same? You know, it is silly
for me to even wonder about it, seeing as there is no more chrome yellow
even made, but it's another one of those things I'd like to "tidy up" for
myself, like smoothing the wrinkles out of a freshly made bed. I'd hate to
say it is a myth when it wasn't...

But this is an interesting question: which pigments (not to say they "don't
work") give people trouble? Judy said ultramarine gave her/her students
trouble. I, and a couple others, find when I use ultramarine it gives off a
sulfur smell. Yukky and unpleasant, but it still works. I have not found a
pigment that doesn't work, just some I don't prefer--dioxazine purple being
one that I could not use if I didn't size paper because it stained royally.
Chris