Re: GENTLE BLEACH

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 06/03/05-07:38:03 AM Z

From: Liam Lawless <liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: RE: GENTLE BLEACH
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:15:56 +0100

> For reversal, you need a non-halogenising bleach that dissolves
> metallic silver WITHOUT altering silver halide, and I'm not aware of
> many suitable bleaches. Mike Ware suggested a bleach based on
> cerium nitrate, but I found it extrememly slow. It's also a great
> deal more expensive than permanganate and dichromate.

I can see cerium nitrate being a slow and expensive "bleach." Another
use for cerium (III) nitrate is to add it to the kettle when you are
making the emulsion formula you tried before. 0.3 mmol would be a good
starting point. (Did I tell you that? I probably never knew you have
cerium on hand!)

If the Ilford XP2-like film is available in the desired size and
suitable base, reversal processing like color reversal would be a bit
simpler because the film is first developed in b&w dev, fogged, and
then developed in color developer to form reversed dye image. Then the
whole silver image is bleached and fixed. (Or b&w reversal
"Kodachrome" could be made rather easily? By that I mean that the dye
coupler is introduced by the processing solution so that ordinary
films can be used for the purpose. It's just an idea.)