Problem pigment

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/03/05-04:12:10 AM Z

Chris asked a while ago about pigments people have had problems with. I
said I hadn't had a problem with any pigment except for zinc oxide in a
gouache getting dichromate stain. Well, you know what they say about
pride goeth before a fall -- I believe I've now met my match in cadmium
red. I would never actually print with this pigment, because it's too
opaque for my taste, but I bought it the other day because I wanted to
test out this question about reflectance curves and color mixing by
overlaying layers of color, since no one answered my question the other
day.

But, this pigment (as M. Graham Cadmium Red) prints totally weird. It's
a beautiful clear medium red in the paint, but in the gum print it's the
dullest, ickiest terra cotta color you ever saw. And on one paper-size
combination it stained, although as a rule I never see pigment staining.
Here's some examples of what it looks like:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Cadred.html

kt