Re: Please explain to me the system for designating pigments

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/06/05-05:07:12 AM Z

Marco Milazzo wrote:

> I notice that many of you refer to pigments by some kind of coding system.
> Please briefly explain to me this system -- I'm not familiar with it. Or
> can you refer me to a web page that explains it?

I believe it's called the Color Index number (Color Index International)

http://www.colour-index.org/

(Eric, I think this might be the source you were looking for, for exact
composition and formulas for pigments)

 This index number is used by anyone who works seriously with pigments,
because it's the only reliable way to designate specific pigments.
Here's the best place to learn about pigments specifically as used in
watercolor paints,

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html

Hope that helps,
Katharine Thayer