Re: yellow pigment for gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/06/05-04:49:05 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> (Katharine said) The PY 139 is only
> > semitransparent, and the "new gamboge" by which I assume you mean the
> > new paint that M. Graham now markets under the name "gamboge" can't
> > possibly be as transparent as the PY110, since both of the pigments it
> > contains are only semi- transparent.
>
> Katharine,
> How much difference do you think going from a transparent to a semi
> transparent pigment would actually make, when the pigment is mixed in gum
> and applied thinly? I suppose I could test this by just brushing the two
> over a dark layer and seeing the effect, but if you've already done a side
> by side test that'd save me some time. The reason why I ask this is because
> the cad colors and nickel titanate are realllly opaque, but in thin layers
> you can still see through them.

Sure, you can see through them, like a veil, but it's not the same as
being truly transparent. I like being able to put yellow over black
(as in adding an extra layer of yellow as a fourth layer over a
tricolor) without there being any evidence of the yellow as a separate
layer over the black. PY110 is the only yellow I know that can do that.

One of the things I plan to do this week is print a bunch of different
yellows as the last layer on a tricolor, to show the difference.

My point earlier was that each pigment has its own unique character,
that's what's so cool about pigments: no two are the same, and they
aren't interchangeable.

Katharine