Re: Problem pigment

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/08/05-01:53:40 PM Z

I wrote...

  On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Well, depends on what the question is. If the question is why care
> whether your paints are fugitive or not, that's a question each person
> has to answer for hermself. If the question is, why not just rely on
> manufacturer's ratings rather than seeking out independent data, I
> think that again is an individual decision. So if you don't care about
> permanence, or if you are willing to take a manufacturer's word for
> permanence, then you're probably not missing anything. And if you look
> at the ratings and pick only the absolute highest rated pigments, then
> you're probably not missing much either.

Ahem -- I come from art school & 18 years as a painter...& have rarely
bought paint with less than highest rating -- since they've published
ratings, that is,... but, having (oh damn) a limited supply of brain
cells, also of time, & my work seeming to grow needier, not easier, I
figured that sufficed. Then all this fine slicing made me wonder, am I
missing some new, Internet/Important point? Which I gather, NOT.

And a somewhat different point about nuances of paint colors, tho I
daresay I invite a put-down here as well. My experience is that color
effects in a gum print are preferably (for my way of working) achieved by
layering -- added coats, variables of mix, order of application,
development, and so forth, than by choice of a special color beyond my
standard palette... In fact I've found, if the "different" color isn't
last, or one-coat,it's not going to look very different, or not enough to
justify keeping track -- and storing -- many more colors. My studio is
already so crowded with piles and tables and stacks & boxes, that when
phone rings it takes so long to wend my way through, folks ask, "did I
wake you up?"

Of course real estate outside NYC city limits may be less problematic, but
still... I can only think of so many variables at one time -- not to
entirely deny new colors (DS Perylenes turned out to be friends), but I've
found few worth the effort and time, especially since I seem to be still
plumbing possibilities in hand.

Judy