Re: pigments for gum and PDN

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/10/05-06:31:39 AM Z

Things I missed in first quick reading, sorry:

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Holbein Permanent Yellow Light PY53/PY55...or, at least, one of those is
> fugitive (PY55). Talk about manufacturers mislabeling! Or did PY55
> suddenly become permanent??

Nope. But dontcha just love it when a manufacturer calls a fugitive
pigment "permanent"? They do it more often than you would hope. Another
example is Rowney and PY1, also called "permanent yellow," although I
believe that at some point they reformulated that paint to PY138.

 MacEvoy's tests rate the Holbein "permanent yellow" at 2,4 (on a 1-8
scale where 8 is most lightfast) and puts a red "AVOID" label on it,
saying "This mixture is unacceptably fugitive." He suggests PY 65 or PY
153 as a similar hue with similar color intensity that's more lightfast.

> But I wanted to add a note about the PY110 M. Graham's old gamboge vs.
> PY151/P062 M. Graham's new gamboge vs. Maimeri PY139 vs. the REAL gamboge
> Winsor Newton NY24. The new Graham gamboge is much closer to true gamboge,
> but isn't even CLOSE to their old gamboge.

Interesting. I've never used the mixture, because I prefer to mix my own
mixtures rather than buying mixed paints, and of course because I liked
the PY110 so much I had no interest in changing to different pigments.
But Art Graham told me, when I complained to him personally about their
discontinuing the PY110, that I "wouldn't be able to tell the
difference" between the old "gamboge" and the new "gamboge". I didn't
say, but thought, "I'll bet I probably could." And it sounds like you
can.