Re: Kodak B&W Paper Discontinued?

From: Robert M ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 06/15/05-03:53:27 PM Z

> Does any one know anything about this? Is this for just this company or
> they are just no longer making all Black and White Papers?
>
> MEMO
> Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:03 AM
> Subject: Kodak B/W Paper Discontinued
>

> It was announced today(June 15) that Kodak has discontinued all Black and
> White papers including RC, Fiber, Digital, Azo, Vprint, Panalure and
Portra
> Black and White/Sepia. Most stock will be available through the end of
> 2005.
>
> I wanted you to know that Diversified Photo Supply will continue to stock
> both RC and Fiber based Black and White papers in the following brands:
> Agfa, Mitsubishi Gekko and Ilford. Please email or call if you would
likee
> price quotes on any of these papers. Also you can continue to order the
> Kodak brand through us while supplies last at Kodak.

Earlier, someone posted they had inside information and declined to say who.
I will believe it when Kodak announces it; "reliable" inside sources are
often less than reliable. I remember when a reliable source told me all
Harley-Davidson production is moving to Korea. Ain't happened yet.

If history has taught us anything, it is this: big news like this would have
been released long before "Diversified Photo" announces it tied to an
announcement for their products or someone posted it is true on this list.
This decision would be a big one and we would have seen evidence and rumors
of Kodak's (supposed) move before now.

Decisions like this are not made lightly. Certainly, the decision to
discontinue manufacturing papers is one such decision. Info always leaks.

If it were true, (and I am not saying it is not true, by the way) someone
would have known long before this apparent release and I will not believe
some press release/memo from "Diversified Photo" forwarded by someone to a
mailing list and "confirmed" by someone with inside information.

According to one poster, it is reliable inside info. In my view, it is just
a rumor and until we know who made the statement, we can largely dismiss it.
According to the above memo, Kodak has (apparently) announced it. I prefer
to wait until Kodak officially announces it. Again, I am NOT saying it is
not true.

Bob