Re: Dry plate ferrotypes?

From: Christopher Wright ^lt;cwrigh2@twcny.rr.com>
Date: 06/16/05-08:08:11 AM Z

Hello Dianne:

 From your description (and without seeing the images) what you saw
were probably tintypes made with the wet plate collodion process.
This process produced the "classic" tintype of the nineteenth and
early twentieth centuries. It will produce, when well-done, strong
whites and clear blacks (the latter from the japanned layer on the
metal); the thin emulsion (with irregular corner(s)) is the collodion.

There are a fair number of collodion photographers who specialize in
making tintypes for the public. These are largely found among the
Civil War re-enactors who are very serious about being true to the
techniques and methods of the period. (See Bob Szabo's thorough and
intelligently-done website, which includes a Wet Plate Forum where
such issues as you describe are posted: http://www.cwreenactors.com)

Also, there are a number of Art photographers who produce some pretty
impressive tintypes in large sizes (quite rarely done in the 19th
century).

Try doing a Google search for "Collodion," or for "Tintype
Photography" and you'll be amazed (some more!).

Good luck and have fun!

Christopher Wright/
        www.visionsinsilver.com