Re: Archival CDs

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 06/26/05-08:04:49 PM Z

Hard drives are magnetic. Anything magnetic will not last as long as a CD.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca<br>&gt;To:
alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca<br>&gt;Subject: Re: Archival
expert on digital media archiving either, but have a <br>&gt;friend who is.
He's an audiophile, music engineer and producer. <br>&gt;He's been telling
me since the late 80s the best way to store CD <br>&gt;media is vertically,
as gravity will slightly warp the CD over time <br>&gt;if stored flat. The
spindles they come on are convenient storage, <br>&gt;but apparently not the
best to maintain longevity.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Are the secure plastic cases you
refer to typical &quot;jewel&quot; cases? If <br>&gt;so, they merely
suspend the CD from the center. If stored <br>&gt;horizontally they'd
provide no benefit regarding warping.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;I've lost a number of
images I thought were secure on CD, only to <br>&gt;find out later the CD
had suffered at the hands of some evil <br>&gt;gremlin. They were stored on
a spindle in a big stack, vertically. <br>&gt;Whether or not storage
orientation had to do with the problem, I <br>&gt;can't say for certain.
Lesson there was, when the data's important, <br>&gt;make 2 copies, and
store them in different physical locations and <br>&gt;under ideal
conditions (cool, dry, and vertical, IMHO).<br>&gt;<br>&gt;I'd be willing to
pay $1 per CD if I had some sense it was more than <br>&gt;just marketing
hype. As with &quot;archival&quot; inkjet technology, I'd wait <br>&gt;and
see about these new CDs before spending a bunch of money on them <br>&gt;and
instead rely on redundancy and conventional wisdom regarding <br>&gt;ideal
storage conditions.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;I've also heard of professional video
producers who archive their <br>&gt;enormous amounts of data by putting it
on removable IDE hard drives, <br>&gt;sealing it in static-proof mylar bags,
when done and putting it on <br>&gt;the shelf. With drives costing less
than $1 per gigabyte now, it's <br>&gt;a tempting route to take, as hard
drives aren't likely to die on the <br>&gt;shelf (though one must keep tabs
on changing technologies and <br>&gt;transfer the data to the newest from
time to time -- IDE support <br>&gt;won't be around
forever)...<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Best
wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;Since so much of our<br>&gt;&gt;hard labor hinges on
preservation, I wonder if anyone has <br>&gt;&gt;definitive data
on<br>&gt;&gt;this subject? I also wonder why vertical storage, if the CDS
are <br>&gt;&gt;in secure<br>&gt;&gt;plastic cases, should make any
difference. Joachim<br>&gt;<br>