Re: Archival CDs

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 06/26/05-08:11:19 PM Z

Judy,

Film might work pretty well. As I recall, mylar base B&W film has a lifetime
of at least 100 years. That's what libraries use to make microfilm and
microfisch. The digital data could be recorded of that.
Of course, you would need a recorder and a playback device.

We put several hundred VHS tapes on VCD using CD-Rs. The best thing about
digital as opposed to analog is that you can make copies that are as good as
the original.

Bob S.

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca<br>&gt;To:
alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca<br>&gt;Subject: Re: Archival
CDs<br>&gt;Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:23:12 -0400
4.7GB @ $0.50<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; Hmmmm, holds 6.5X as much data and
assuming you already have the DVD burner and player of <br>&gt;course... but
I seriously doubt anyway that the cost of the disk <br>&gt;itself is an
issue... after all, zip discs cost $10 or $12 apiece <br>&gt;and we used
them as backup when (probably) the ratio of our file <br>&gt;size to the
disc may have been not all that different from file to <br>&gt;CD today...
(Well, the math escapes me on this Gay Pride day, but I <br>&gt;know I had
many and always needed more.)<br>&gt;<br>&gt;As for care &amp; grooming of
CDs, the &quot;jewel cases&quot; are also very cheap <br>&gt;on sale at
Staples &amp;, unlike the disks, reusable. I stack the cases <br>&gt;in the
original box they came in, that is, vertically, as I was told <br>&gt;to do.
As for labeling them, I've found entirely unlabeled disks are <br>&gt;an
accident waiting to happen. So I number them (index kept on hard
case,<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Meanwhile, thanks for reminder to keep renewing the
discs-- but <br>&gt;isn't there some kind of service where we could put
those discs <br>&gt;(disks, can't make up my mind) back into analog for
absolute <br>&gt;lifetime safety? I mean, get them on film while film still
I don't think so. Clearly digital underpins a <br>&gt;great deal of
&quot;alt&quot; function, and we need all the function we can