Home made Lenses ( soft focus )

From: John Cremati ^lt;johnjohnc@core.com>
Date: 03/04/05-10:19:08 AM Z

     I have gone soft in the head over soft focus lenses..... My friend just
purchased one ($1500 ) that covers 8x10 and I also bought a 14 inch color
corrected Wollensak Veritar for $650.....The images achieved from these
lenses are just fantastic......It is the equivalent of a fine impressionist
painting only in photography..... It simplifies the image.....

    The store bought Soft focus lenses made for Portraiture or Landscape
offer a clarity along with a glowing softness that will be very hard to
duplicate just jimmy rigging a filter or a few close up lenses..... In
fact I have found it to be NO COMPARISON at all as far as image quality!

          I have also been playing around with process lenses modifying
the iris from typically f 8 or f9 up to f3.5 or 4 .... I would then remove
the front element and have been getting fabulous results complete with the
halos in the high lights and diffusion, to sharp centers diffusing to the
edges...... .

There are some serious quirks and tips for shooting Soft focus but that
will have to wait. Got to go to work....
John Cremati