Re: Home made Lenses ( soft focus )

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 03/04/05-10:50:23 AM Z

I own three "real" soft focus lenses. Two old Wollensaks and a more
modern Fuji. The Wollensaks were bought before the current pricing
madness (I think I paid about $125US each for my 10 inch and 16 inch,
both in shutter!).

The older soft focus lenses, like my/your Wollensak Veritars, are
really just a couple diopters. Very simple two element lenses. A
diopter is simply a single lens element. This, given the current
pricing madness, is the joy of John's article. They are simple and
cheap to build!

The more modern Fuji soft focus lens is a different beast. Nice in its
own way, but a far more complicated lens formula. I find myself using
the old (simple) Wollensaks far more often.

Actually, my favorite soft focus lens is a "mystery lens" bought at a
swap meet (Quarksite in the Arizona desert). It was sold as a "Real
Kodak Large Format lens", but has no markings and doesn't cover 4x5 at
infinity. Two elements, no shutter. You can see images made by it here
(kalli on cloth):
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com/toysportfolio.html

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com