Re: Slowest Commercial Film Available?

From: Breukel, C. (HKG) ^lt;C.Breukel@lumc.nl>
Date: 03/07/05-08:15:46 AM Z

Hi Alex,

The MACO film is indeed very slow, and I observed a batch to batch variantion: the very first batch they made had a speed of about 6-12 asa (measuring IR light is kinda hard with ordinairy lightmeters), the newer batches were around 3-6 asa. The MACO film is basicaly (AFAIK) the "normal" EFKE PL100 panchromatic film , "doped" with IR sensitive dyes. With the red filter you basically cut off the visible light, and reduce the sensitivity greatly (the more red the filter, the lower the speed, I use a 70 filter, roughly between a 25 red filter and a 89b filter IIRC..). Since the amount of IR light varies, depending on the time of the day and the season I tend to overexpose also (what's the difference between slow and very slow anyway..;-)..). The highlights do not block up that dramatic as with kodak HIE, which has a very pronounced shoulder. And I process this film in PyrocathHD, which lowers the highlights on VC paper...

..probably more than you wanted to know..;-)..

Best,

Cor