Re: jewelia@erols.com//unfortunate remarks

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/09/05-01:12:40 AM Z

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, John Ptak wrote:

> I don't know Jewelia but I find this last remark regarding her as unkind and
> unacceptable and unfunny. Biting personal remarks should at least be made
> personally and should not be the fodder for attempts at mild public
> amusement. John Ptak
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>

My Dear Mr. Ptak,

I don't know who you are or from whence comes your authority to interpret
(or, I suspect, misinterpret) my words. You have yet to contribute any of
your own -- and it's always struck me as an especially cheap shot when a
lurker dashes out from the safety of his/her cave to denounce what they
never helped build and have hardly a clue about. So, besides sounding off
in ignorance (what I said above is the absolute literal truth, and I
daresay how the character herself would have put it), you may be too
judgmental/refined/sensitive/conventional for this list -- let alone for
reality. (Also sexist? You have yet to denounce a man thusly, at least on
this list, and there have been a few quite denounceable moments this
season.)

True, I am a tad puzzled -- what in the world bothered you enough to break
silence? How would YOU have put it? Perhaps you've had a sex change
yourself (or one of your near and dear ones has) and are super-sensitive
on the subject? Relax. Really. I have simply told the truth as Jewelia
herself told it -- to me and to whoever else would listen, ever and always
laying it on with trowel, hammer, and gusto -- plus often enough no small
amount of charm. (Jewellia, of course, was Jewellia Margarita Cameroon,
who knew a great deal about paper and processes and whose departure from
the list was regretted by many. Her birth name was Richard someone.)

As it happens, however, the NEXT character was rather stronger, tho from
some (obviously misplaced) delicacy of my own I omitted to mention that
the person s/he became directly upon the demise of "Jewellia" had a
longish name ending in "Poor Cunt" -- the prefix escapes me now. The
persona was (maybe someone else can help with this), I think Native
American (?).

Somewhere or other, unless I needed the space and discarded it, I have
Poor Cunt's ramble about several of her incarnations...(I thought Poor
Cunt was the weakest, and so doubly doubt it was the last.)

I had, however, spent two full weeks of my remaining time on earth
attempting to satisfy J. with an edit of her "article" for Post-Factory,
which was promised to be about Uranium printing. S/he changed her mind --
several times -- and ultimately declared that it was to be "performance
art" about her character(s) or some form of written art, I forget the
exact term, and would require the entire issue.

Moreover, having been dissatisfied with exposure in "alternative
photography," the audience being too small, and a recent show at a
university having been a disappointment, s/he had decided to head for a
different arena.

At that point I cut my losses. So, I suggest, might you.

Judy