Re: Larger Digital negs by tiling

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/10/05-01:10:32 AM Z

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Katharine Thayer wrote:

>> Have any of you learned printers ever 'tiled' negatives to produce
>> larger images. Is it possible to produce a gum print without lines
>> caused by light diffraction where the negs are tiled?

I haven't made negatives as large as the ones Katharine describes, but
I've added "annexes" in various proportions, even a different material
(eg, a vellum extension of a lith negative). What worked for me was
avoiding straight edges in favor of irregular borders, if possible along
image lines. Then, if necessary, a few delicate strokes of touch up with
colored pencil or matching paint on a small brush and the join becomes
just about invisible.

Judy