RE: May 1839 photographic (?) image question

From: Richard ^lt;richard@rwc.my-bulldog.com>
Date: 03/12/05-07:03:51 PM Z

In Britain, Talbot made the earliest known surviving photographic negative
on paper in the late summer of 1835, a small photogenic drawing of the oriel
window in the south gallery of his home, Lacock Abbey: this rare item is now
in the photographic collection of the Science Museum at the National Museum
of Photography, Film and Television at Bradford.

Before this he had been experimenting with photogenic drawings: by coating
drawing paper with salt solution and after it dried, adding a solution of
silver nitrate, and by placing a leaf, or fern, or a piece of lace, on the
paper's surface and exposing it to the sun, he obtained an image.
Photogenic drawing of a fern leaf, c.1835-40

Here is the information you require and follow it up with a web search under
Fox-Talbot

Richard

---