Re: May 1839 photographic (?) image question OT

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 03/13/05-02:28:10 PM Z

Hello John,

Actually Daguerre and Niepce in France had achieved negatives many years earlier

than Talbot in England. Niepce was making what he called "retinas" at least as
early
as 1816.

I believe what you have is an example of Nature Printing which was the
precursor of the Woodburytype process. Have you spoken with anyone at the
George Eastman House about the image?

I am including my response from a previous post you made in 2003 :

       Re: first illustration of a photograph? OT
       Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:20:28 -0600
      From: Phillip Murphy <pmurf@bellsouth.net>

Generally credited as the first photographically illustrated book is Anna
Atkins' "British Algae: Cyanotype
Impressions (1843-53)". Prior to that, there were various Lithographs published
in 1839 from
Daguerreotype plates. Etchings from Daguerreotype plates were also used in 1839
and later.
The largest publication being Nicolas Lerebour's "Excursions daguerriennes"
(1840-1844). Another was Hector Horeau's "Panorama d'Egypte et de Nubie" (1841)

Joseph Niepce made prints using a unique type of photo-lithography as early as
1822.
http://www.niepce.com/pagus/pagus-inv.html

Perhaps what you have is a form of Nature Printing. This practice was utilized
for publication
as far back as the early 1700's. Nature Printing evolved into an electro-typing
method in 1837.
Interestingly, an early form of Nature Printing led to the development of the
Woodburytype in the
mid-1860's.

-Phillip

"John F. Ptak" wrote:

> Hello to the group. New member here and first time post. My question is in
regards to an article by Golding Bird in "The Mirrour" (London) beginning April
20, 1839 and continued in 5 more parts through June 1839. It is a very early
discussion of Daguerre's process--the quirky bit is that on the front cover of
the first article there is an image of a "photo-genic drawing" (a botanical
negative)made by Bird. Two questions: does anyone know of the first time a
photograph is "illustrated" (not photographically)in a mass/trade publication?
(It is an odd question in itself because it *is* an engraving/litho of a photo
which may mean nothing in itself...) This has not been an easy matter to
settle. Secondly, I wonder if it is possible if the "photo-genic" image is
*not* a lithograph as I believe but some sort of photographic process? This
image is larger than any other image that appears in this journal for 20 years
(I have 45 years worth), and the ink is not only (unique to!
> this publication) brown but rather thick, easily osmosed to the rear of the
paper.
> There are all sorts of refs to the first image of a human face, the first of
the moon, etc, in a long line of photographic firsts, but none refer to a simple
first illustration of a photographic image.
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>
> Many thanks for this indulgence.
>
> Best,
> John Ptak
>
> --
> John Ptak
>
> Longstreet
> Antiquarian Maps and Prints
> 8 Biltmore Avenue
> Asheville, NC USA 28801
> 828.254.0081
>
> JF Ptak Science Books
> 255 Cumberland Avenue
> Asheville, North Carolina USA
> 28801
>
> p. 828.254.0081 f. 202.318.3244
> http://www.thesciencebookstore.com
>
> Specializing in iconic and obscure works in the history of science, as well as
unusual and uncommon antique maps and prints.