Re: Fibber McGee's Closet

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/14/05-01:21:53 AM Z

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Dave Soemarko wrote:

>> Still, I really appreciate your support (and support from offlist: "Go Girl
>> Go!", etc.), also your calm approach, but ....
>
> Judy, I didn't write you the "Go Girl Go" message. Did you mean other
> supports from other people offlist? Or maybe there was another Dave who wrote
> you that message.

No no -- they were from other people, none of them named Dave... from a
couple of men and several women.

>> about a generic photographer you referred to as "he." Then you stopped and
>> asked the list, "Do I have to say 'he or she'?" I wrote, "you betcha,"
>> adding a short but brilliant explanation I forget now --
>
> Yes, and I remember saying (not sure it was onlist or offlist though) about
> having to type extra words every I have to refer to someone generic, and we

Of course some folks say just "she" when the occasion occurs -- a kind of
reparations perhaps.

>> and all hell broke loose. Luis Nadeau went positively ballistic. One of
>> the nicer things he called me (tho that was offlist, I still loved it) was
>> "cultural imperialist," meaning that I was trying to make the world
>> (including French Canadians!) follow the USA's politically correct rules.
>> (I wonder if they ever did...?)

> Was he joking or serious? I probably didn't/couldn't follow the discussion
> closely because at that time I was more culturally distant, so I often missed

He was deadly serious -- and FURIOUS. The "cultural imperialism" part was
offlist (and to a 3rd party who was delighted enough with it -- as I was
-- to share), though he still did plenty of fiery french fireworks onlist.
I was pretty amazed, to tell the truth.

> the fine argument in emails and wasn't sure what exactly people were talking
> about. I thought he and you agreed on most things though. More than one time
> he said that he liked and enjoyed your sense of humor.

We did smooth things out after that episode (for a while) and he very
kindly sent me a set of his encyclopedias, which I find very valuable
(though I do have a problem with certain entries, as I mentioned in
Post-Factory #9 -- in particular, re Fresson. But he was planning to
market his Fresson process at that point, so.... whatever).

Judy