Re: The value of the handmade

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 03/15/05-10:56:07 PM Z

There's an undeniable attraction to the handmade. I can easily make
gorgeous inkjet prints on my Epson 2000P at the push of a button. But
they'll never equal the unique beauty of my finely crafted gum and cyanotype
prints.

When I lived in New Jersey, I collected and hauled over 100 tons of basalt
into my backyard. During the course of 18 months, I built over 450' of
dry-laid stone walls, averaging 3' in height. The walls served a useful
function in retaining the soil on the steep lot and improving drainage, but
their aesthetic quality was of much greater value. Within months, snakes
and chipmunks took up residence in the walls. Careful plantings added
vibrant life to the walls, with dramatic displays of flowers in the warmer
months. My backyard was transformed into a beautiful and intimate space.

While building the walls, I often doubted my wisdom in undertaking such a
huge and demanding project. But I often thought about the walls and how
they'd stand for many hundreds of years beyond my lifetime. People in the
future will marvel at and appreciate the intricate beauty of the walls long
after I'm gone. I sold the house and moved away 6 months after completing
the monumental landscaping project. So much for enjoying the fruits of
one's labor!

Dick, it's easy to imagine your students failing to fully understand the
beauty and value of the handmade. Most of them have never sweated hard,
nursed aching muscles at night, or sacrificed inordinate amounts of time and
energy to complete a formidable task. So much of what they have experienced
is limited to disposable Made in China junk that's bought at the local
Wal-Mart, consumed and discarded. I imagine that many students, being
young, simply lack the life experiences to fully appreciate the finer things
in life.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, WY