RE: Actual photograph; was List Minders

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;Jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 03/15/05-11:44:32 PM Z

>>> schrammrus@hotmail.com 03/15/05 11:24 PM >>>

>>Well I will add my two cents on this one as well.
If you go back to the origin of the word it means writing with light.
So, to make a photograph you need a lens or a pin hole to form an image
on a
photosensitive surface so that a record can be made.
Thus a xerox is a photograph as is a silver/gelatin print or a digital
image.<<

Sorry. No, Bob. You need neither lens nor pinhole to make a
photograph. I've seen plenty of very nice photographs made without
benefit of lens, pinhole, zone plate, camera.

And while a xerox utilizes light in the process, my limited
understanding of this electrostatic process is that another type of
energy is required to form the image. The image is fused thermally
isn't it? Heat and light and static electricity are not the same. I
can take the xerographic pigment and sprinkle it on the paper substrate
and flood that combination all day with light and it will not form an
image.

We refer to that thermal and electrostatic copying process as
"xerography" not photography.

Why not call a spade, a spade?

As General Jack D. Ripper might say: "I've given it a lot of thought,
Major. Don't think I haven't...Purity and Essence."

Joe