Re: The value of the handmade

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/16/05-10:27:17 AM Z

Joe,

I was never able to get enough information to make any real judgements.

The main thing I saw was that most schools were integrating their
commercial digital into the Fine Arts program. There is a movement afoot at
our school to move the Fine Arts Photography program into the commercial
area. The Dean of Business and Technology came to the Faculty Senate to
confront me on this issue since I have taken a lead role in it. (Why a Dean
is allowed to debate faculty in a faculty senate meeting is another issue
entirely!!) Anyway, he said we should not be focusing on training people to
go to UNM (U New Mex) and get MFA's but focusing on a European craft model
and two year digital photography certifications so people can become
wedding photographers and actually earn a living.

I went to a two year college and got an AA before getting my BA. They were
called Junior Colleges then. Things have not changed much. I am not
impressed with the general trend of things. Grade glut? You betcha! It's
the attitude of the Dean that is becoming more and more prevalent. I don't
have a problem with a trade-tech college, that is a great idea but when the
areas are mixed like they are at our school, then there are conflicts like
the attitude of the dean.

Off topic probably. I suspect we should totally divorce technology from the
aesthetic issues, it's so much easier to understand that way.

--Dick