Re: good news about Peter Fredrick

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/21/05-01:15:02 AM Z

Great news! Thanks for sharing, and give him our very best. Wish I could
be there for the party.

P.S. Since I'm one who has spoken most strongly against "personal
remarks" on the list, let me hasten to assure you that it's not this
kind of personal announcement that I was arguing against. I feel the
same as you do about us being a kind of family who are interested in
each other and want to know how everyone's doing, and am always glad to
hear news of Pete or of anyone. I even like, and indulge in, the
sharing that some people don't like, that gives us a glimpse into people
and what their lives are like.

 The kind of personal comment I have argued against, and think the list
would be better off without, is the personal insult offered as an aside
in the middle of a discussion of issues, that causes so much
unhappiness among people on the list. That's quite different from what
I'm talking about above, and is the only thing I have meant when I have
said that personal remarks are not useful in a discussion of issues.
Katharine Thayer