Re: How to super harden papers? Off list

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 03/24/05-10:07:37 AM Z

I should probably describe the situation. I am
developing carbon images on fixed out
photographic papers as a way of enhancing the
relief effect. Some papers are much better than
others at showing the relief effect, in
particular matte surface papers.

However, I recently was given a very large amount
of Polymax double weight fiber paper in F surface
and I would like to use this paper for my work.
Unfortunately, with this paper the carbon images
appears to sink into the emulsion and the
dimensional effect is much less pronounced than
with the matte surface papers that I have been
using. What I would like to do is harden the
gelatin surface of the paper so that the carbon
image will stay more on the surface.

Having no glut on hand I tried hardening in a 10%
solution of glyoxal and compared results with the
unhardened paper. There was not a lot of change,
if any, in the look between the hardened and
unhardened paper.

So, my questions now are these. Is there any
possibility that the hardening process will
continue with time? And, is there any reason to
believe that other hardeners, say glut, formalin
or chrome alum would be more effective than
glyoxal?

Sandy