Re: copyright

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;bkleider@sihope.com>
Date: 03/29/05-09:46:08 AM Z

Gerry,

It's not even a grey area. He's completely within his rights - as best I
understand copyright law.

For one thing, you're not looking at The Gates /per se/ - you're looking
at */his photographs of The Gates/ *- a hugely important distinction.
(Different medium, includes people, shows the site, etc.) All of which
may have been intended in the Gates project, but are not a direct part
of it in the same way they are part of his images. He would argue this
is his unique take on what he saw on that afternoon.

It's very different from making a bootleg copy of the Sponge Bob movie
and showing it for $$$ in your living room. Reason being the Sponge Bob
movie would be an exact dupe. And even if he were to insert his images
into the Sponge Bob movie, it would likely be considered an infringement
of fair use because he would be showing the movie in it's entirety
rather than an excerpt.

The difference between a newspaper and a magazine is not relevant -
both are for profit. Tim would also say he is providing a news source
for photographers. You can decide not to buy his magazine, and the
advertisers can decide not to buy ads if they don't think it's a good
investment.

Most importantly, the images are his. He can print them where and when
he wishes.

Cheers,

Barry