Re:Viewing Distance for Prints

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 05/01/05-06:27:47 AM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: R E Redman <Redman@elmet15.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: May 1, 2005 2:43 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re:Viewing Distance for Prints

The question of what is the "correct" viewing distance for prints has been
raised recently in my local camera club. Some suggest that it is wrong to
examine prints closely and to get a proper impression of the print it should
be viewed from several feet away (depending on its size). I think,
particularly with alternative prints, a close examination is desirable so
that the workmanship and technique can be fully enjoyed. Does anybody have
any views on this ?

Bob (UK)

   I think people have a tendency to view photographic prints from very close especially if they have, or appear to have, a lot of detail. For "correct" persepecitive the viewing distance should be from the focal length of the lens times the degree of enlargement but this is a technical not artistic rule.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com