RE: Viewing Distance for Prints

From: Michael Dowdall ^lt;aw0l7@iprimus.ca>
Date: 05/01/05-06:47:52 AM Z

How appropriate that this came in the mail today, since we were
discussing this same issue yesterday at the club that go to. I agree
with the writer that a print should also stand up to being examined
close up what ever the printing method. I think the restriction to
proper viewing distance helps to cover up for prints poorly made. They
can have the initial impact of a well captured image, which all good
prints should have but if it loses it's appeal on closer inspection or
repeated viewing should it still be considered a top print? Since we
allow different size prints in our competitions, should we have
different proper viewing distances for the various sizes? One assigned
viewing distance favors larger size prints; details in 8x10 that may
make up the better part of the image are lost when viewed from 8 to 10
ft away.

Well that's just my opinion

Michael