RE: Viewing Distance for Prints

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 05/01/05-11:15:35 AM Z

I find it absurd to assign a proper distance even with criteria to use for
your club. One can certainly craft a print to meet certain criteria. But
does that print cess to exist out side the club doors? The correct viewing
distance can only be determined by the viewer. Additional viewers will use
different criteria to determine their best distance based in part on
technical quality or aesthetical qualities. It is ultimately up to the
crafts person to determine acceptable print quality. If that person is
driven by sales, or perhaps even driven by the buyer the prints will reflect
it.

I understand that you are looking for a method to evaluate characteristics
in judging print quality but to what end? Are you going to break up your
prints into light through lens to film/emulsion/paper and also add the
digital workflow? Do you limit the camera and lenses used?

A print either works or it doesn't and it doesn't really matter if the
detail is there or not. Bad printing is bad printing. To define a proper
viewing distance, you need to standardize the receptor; the human eye and
brain. I don't see that happening today. So I suggest that you rely on print
appeal.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9