RE: Viewing Distance for Prints

From: Eric Nelson ^lt;emanmb@yahoo.com>
Date: 05/01/05-11:35:28 AM Z

The nature of a photograph invites close inspection by
it's nature of being able to record so much detail.
If you try that w/ a painting you only see globs of
paint. I've tried getting close to some Monets once
and the effect of the paimting was lost.

On the extreme side, bordering ridiculous, I saw a
show once where one of the photogs printed his work
REALLY small to, in his words, "draw the viewer closer
to his work". Well, it would have been nice if I
could see what was in the image and evaluate it's
content.
At any rate, I second Eric's opining in that I think
the individual decides what's their comfortable
viewing distance and that the subject will either
invite closer inspection or not as well as the
individual's interest in the subject matter.

Eric Nelson
http://www.eman-photo.com/