Re: Dry-mounting gum prints

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/04/05-09:06:16 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> D. Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > Katherine,
> >
> > I find the mounting of a fine art photograph on foam core a bit odd. This is
> > standard practice however for posters, event signs, graphic design
> > presentations, etc.
> >
> > Keep in mind that although there is an archival version of foam core,
> > lower-end framing establishments don't usually carry it due to cost.
> >

> Thanks, Mark. I guess I was expecting it to be mounted on museum board

I didn't explain myself very well here. (I'm sick and my brain cells
seem to be firing intermittently).

I had framed the print between two pieces of museum board hinged
together, the front board of course with a window cut out of it and the
back board solid. A piece of archival foam core was placed in the frame,
loose, behind the two pieces of museum board to back the piece. The
print was attached to the solid piece of museum board with linen tape.
I handed them the sandwich of museum board with the print inside, and
what I expected was that the print would be drymounted to the solid
piece of museum board to which it was already attached. But instead,
when the print came back the solid piece of museum board had been
discarded and the print had been mounted on a piece of foam core that
the frame shop had supplied. As I said, I was surprised by this.
Katharine