Re: Dry-mounting gum prints

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/04/05-09:16:30 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> I had framed the print between two pieces of museum board hinged
> together, the front board of course with a window cut out of it and the
> back board solid. A piece of archival foam core was placed in the frame,
> loose, behind the two pieces of museum board to back the piece. The
> print was attached to the solid piece of museum board with linen tape.
> I handed them the sandwich of museum board with the print inside, and
> what I expected was that the print would be drymounted to the solid
> piece of museum board to which it was already attached. But instead,
> when the print came back the solid piece of museum board had been
> discarded and the print had been mounted on a piece of foam core that
> the frame shop had supplied. As I said, I was surprised by this.

It sounds kind of dumb that I assumed that a frame shop would do
something the right way without being told. But I guess because I knew
that this frame shop had framed shows for Robert Adams, for example, I
thought they would know what they were doing. So now I've got a gum
print mounted on a piece of foam core, because I was too sick and dumb
to pay attention. This is just perfect ;-) Thanks for the input,
Katharine