Re: Gum woes

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 05/07/05-08:26:53 AM Z

Your first series, with pigment mixed at 1gram per 3ml of gum, may be too
heavy on the pigment. Try using ratios of 1g/10ml, 1g/15ml, 1g/20ml,
etc...... Also note that one fixed ratio is not suitable for all pigments.
You'll have to experiment with individual pigments at varying ratios for
optimum results. Different pigments will vary widely in printing strength,
tendency to stain, and other factors.

I don't understand Jame's "5-10-10" formula. Why the extra step (mixing 5ml
of AD solution to 10ml distilled water)? Instinct tells me that it would be
a watery and weak emulsion. I've good overall results using 1 part gum
arabic/pigment solution to 1 part sensitizer solution, with exposures
ranging from 2 to 6 minutes in a homemade UV light box. I believe that's
the 'standard ratio' recommended by most authors. Use that as your starting
point. After you master the process, you can then alter your formula,
increasing or decreasing the amount of sensitizer used in relation to
gum/pigment.

Jame's "traditional formula" (9ml gum/pigment to 3ml sensitizer) strikes me
as way too heavy on the gum/pigment.

Try a test print using:

20ml gum w/1g pigment
20ml sensitizer