Re: Gum woes

From: Hamish Stewart ^lt;hamish.stewart@gumphoto.demon.co.uk>
Date: 05/08/05-05:35:36 PM Z

Scott,

I donšt want to repeat too much of what has already been said but a few
quick points

I have always found that a simple ratio of 1:1 of the gum+pigment and the
dichromate works just fine ­ I have never added any additional water at all.
On occasion I might increase the ratio of the dichromate. I have used both
ammonium and potassium - what works best will depend on your lights and
your negatives.

Your pigment load seems high to me - I tend to work with between 1-3g tube
pigments to 12ml gum. Stronger pigment load will give you more intense
colour but will increase the potential for pigment staining

I am not familiar with the paper you are using ­ Kerikšs suggestion of
Fabriano Artisco is a good one ­ I have used this for quite a few years and
the hot pressed surface works very well with gum

You might also want to use some different tube colours ­ I recall that
windsor & newton colours - windsor blue, alzarian crimson and cadmium yellow
all worked well for me in the past.

Best of luck with three colour printing!

Regards

Hamish Stewart Gum Bichromate Photographer - http://www.gumphoto.co.uk