Re: Gum woes

From: Scott Wainer ^lt;swphoto@verizon.net>
Date: 05/08/05-08:09:53 PM Z

Re: Gum woesHi Hamish,

Changing the gum/pigment/dichromate ratio helped but the emulsion still seemed to separate when applied to the paper. I just finished up my stack of gelatin sized Lenox and wanted to see if the paper was part of the problem so I took a piece of unsized Lenox and coated it with an emulsion of 1g pigment per 20ml gum mixed 1+1 with dichromate. The paper just soaked it up - taking almost 6ml emulsion for an area a little bigger than 5x7. With a 2 minute exposure and a 60 minute still water bath all I got was a red square and no image - talk about staining. So the Lenox is now reserved for other processes. But I did notice that the emulsion did not separate so maybe it was the size after all. Digging around in my paper pile I found 25 sheets of Fabriano Uno and 25 sheets of Arches Aquarelle (both 140lb hot press) which i'll try this week. I also found some Coventry Rag and Strathmore Drawing Bristol which I might try but the Coventry looks to be just as thirsty as unsized Lenox and I doubt the Strathmore will hold up under the required soaking. I'll have to get some Artistico and give that a try too, in addition to other colors.

Regards, Scott

swphoto@verizon.net