RE: Mix it all at once (RE: kitchen recipe for palladium)

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 05/08/05-08:19:41 PM Z

Clay, I hardly consider weighing out chemicals mucking around when compared
to adding a whole process on top of a print to add some slight color or by
maintain temperature to achieve a color choice of warm, neutral or cool. I
simply add some ammonium based palladium if I want a more platinum look, or
more sodium if I want warmer. I have so seldom had any problem with
solarization of my prints; it is very much a non issue for me. I also don't
recall the price of lithium chloride vs. sodium or ammonium, but sodium is
dirt cheap. Perhaps if you used a less dilute solution of palladium the
problems of that would not be as high. I mix my palladium solutions with
only 40ml of water to give an approximately .7 M solution. This is much
closer to the strength of the ferric.

One demonstration that most of my students really appreciate is seeing an
image printed with different salt combinations. I find that the ones that
come to me with previous printing experience are the most impressed with
differences that are achievable in image color.

As far as the statement in Dick's book, I can not comment on it completely.
I have only seen his prepress book. I received that from him while in
Montana back in 1999. If there is a statement that claims palladium
Chloride (PdCl2) reverts to solid Pd metal I have never seen that happen.
Nor have I ever checked out the electron potential for the salt. It has
been claimed that it will absorb moisture (hydroscopic) but I haven't seen
that in any text. These would be questions that I'd pose to chemist.
Perhaps, on my next order from Engelhard, I'll ask these questions. IS PdCl2
hydroscopic? And can it revert back to solid Pd metal through such a
process?

I would doubt it, but until one can see the electron potential one doesn't
know past personal observation. I'll review the MSDS and see if there is any
indication within it but I doubt that. Most of my supply and reference
material is not quite complete with stability information.

Cheers,
EJ Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street