Re: Spam strategy

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/12/05-07:49:39 AM Z

I'll chime in here and add my 2cents; I agree with Bob and Judy about
this. Last summer after an article I wrote was published in Lenswork, I
got about 50 very nice letters from people about the article, and tried
to answer each of them. That was the first time I'd run into this kind
of filter that gives you a rude e-mail saying you have to jump through
all these hoops to send a letter back to someone; there were five or six
of these in the lot.

Seems to me that such a routine should at least have a feature that
allows the program to automatically register any address that the person
subscribing to the service writes to. So that if someone writes to me,
my address should be recognized in their spam filter.

At any rate, when I clicked on the URL for one of these, I was asked to
fill out a form with my name, address, I don't know what all, and to
write a little essay specifying why I thought my mail was important
enough to be delivered to its destination. I started wondering what
would be a good enough answer.... would "he wrote to me and I wrote
back" be an acceptable answer? I decided it was all too much trouble; I
didn't complete the form and at that point I decided to adopt a general
policy to not bother to write to people who subscribe to these kinds of
services.

Yes, good to "hear your voice" again, Judy.
Katharine Thayer