Re: Gum woes revisited

From: Scott Wainer ^lt;swphoto@verizon.net>
Date: 05/20/05-10:05:49 PM Z

Hi Katharine,

I chucked everything except for:

W&N French Ultramarine - PB29
W&N Cadmium Red Deep - PR108
Grumbacher Lemon Yellow - PY3

If I said W&N Lemon Yellow I confused the manufacturers. I kept the Lemon
Yellow because I like the color (as I see it). I'm mostly colorblind to reds
and greens, though yellows give me fits sometimes.

I stopped by Pearl art supply on my way home from work today and picked up 2
new colors - W&N Quinacridone Red (PR209) and W&N Winsor Yellow (PY154). I
haven't had a chance to try them yet. I remember there was a discussion
about Quinacridone on the list sometime back but I didn't pay much attention
to it and I haven't looked it up yet so I don't know what everyone's
reaction to it was. I got the Winsor Yellow because it looked stronger than
the Lemon Yellow which seems a bit pale to me but that could just be because
it was diluted 1+20. I'm going to try going back to the 1+10 dilution and
see if my problem was simply having one coat of size.

I'm working on setting up a page with my ISP so I can post images but it'll
probably be about a week off. It'll be interesting to get people's thoughts
on my color work; everyone always asks me how I can be a photographer if i'm
colorblind and think it strange when I say I work in monochrome processes -
most people (non-artists) seem to think only in relation to Type-C prints.

Regards, Scott

swphoto@verizon.net