Re: Gum woes revisited

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/20/05-04:24:13 AM Z

Hi Scott,

A couple of thoughts:

In your earlier post you listed a whole lot of paints and asked for
comments on the pigments. I don't know if you got any comments other
than my own about the pigments, since I've been too sick to read that
that I personally felt to be of inferior quality and permanence, the
designer gouaches and the Grumbacher.

Now, since you asked earlier, I'll comment on the specific pigments you
mention here from Winsor & Newton.

Winsor & Newton's "lemon yellow" doesn't belong to the same pigment
families as most paints called "lemon yellow" which are most often a
hansa (arylide) yellow, like PY3, or a cadmium yellow (PY35 or more
rarely PY37). The W&N "lemon yellow" is nickel titanate (PY53) which is
a rather dull pale pastel, somewhat opaque yellow, it looks in the
swatches like a way watered down yellow ochre. (I haven't used it
myself; I'm just looking at swatches from various manufacturers and at
the description at handprint.com) Just from the swatches and the
description, PY53 wouldn't be my first choice for tricolor work
(although it should be admitted that my own personal first choice is
also a sort of offbeat choice, so I'm not looking down my nose at an
unusual choice). The reason I wouldn't choose the nickel titanate is
because it's such a wimpy, dull yellow; I'd personally want something
more intense and bright to hold its own with the other colors in a
tricolor.

The cadmium red is also somewhat opaque. I prefer transparent pigments,
myself, for tricolor work, but at the dilution you're using them here,
these opaque pigments are probably at least semitransparent. I'd be
interested to see the prints, is there any way you can post them?

Several months ago, because of a discussion that was going on here, I
was thinking a lot about pigments for tricolor work. I'd have to go back
and find that thread to be reminded of what I was thinking at the time
about it, but one of the things I remember speculating about was that in
order for a particular combination of pigments to work, the individual
pigments probably need not only to have compatible reflectance curves,
but also to be equidistant on the color wheel. Which brings me to the
thought that for a good color balance you'd probably need a different
yellow and magenta to go with the new cyanotype (which to my eye is more
like a pthalo) than the classic cyanotype (which to my eye is more like
an ultramarine). Just something more to add to the mix,
Katharine Thayer