Re: About Van Dyke Brown

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/26/05-01:09:54 AM Z

henk thijs wrote:

> What exactly does this mean for pigments: fugitive.

Earlier I answered the question for NBr8 in particular; in general the
answer is that it differs for different pigments. Sometimes it means the
color will pale over time, sometimes that the color will shift over
time.

About ten years ago I bought a monotype that was made with beautiful
rich colors, reds and golds and I don't remember what else. It was made
by a student at an art school. I enjoyed this piece for several years,
but by the time it was 7 or 8 years old, the colors had all lost their
color and the entire piece is now all the same color, sort of an ugly
yellow-brown. That's one example of what fugitive means for pigments. I
assume the school decided to save money by buying cheap inks with
fugitive colors for their students to make monotypes with, but it seems
a false economy in the end.
Katharine