Re: Why Winsor & Newton?

From: Argon3@aol.com
Date: 05/29/05-06:56:30 AM Z

In a message dated 5/29/05 6:05:23 AM, swphoto@verizon.net writes:

> After talking with people on this list, I
> have mail ordered Daniel Smith and M. Graham pigments

If you are planning on using the M. Graham watercolors out of the tubes,
please note that, if I am not mistaken, they use honey as part of the binder.

http://www.mgraham.com/html/watercolor.htm

As to why anyone uses a specific brand of paint for any application;
consistency, consistency and pigment load factor into it heavily. The thickness or
thinness of the paint coming out of the tube (consistency), the quality control
from batch to batch (consistency) and how much pigment and how much filler
the manufacturer puts into the colors. W&N has been known for maintaining high
quality standards and for a wide range of available pigments - some of which
have been abandoned by other manufacturers...sorry to hear that even W&N seem
to have decided to clip a few off their line.

There are several premium watercolor manufacturers and providers of pure
pigment around now...many more than there was even ten years ago. I don't
know...this may only be because their distribution is wider now than it used to
be...it's a global market now instead of a local one. There's nothing magic
about W&N except that they've been good and almost universally available for a
long time.

best

argon