Re: Why Winsor & Newton?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/30/05-06:08:09 AM Z

Argon3@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/29/05 6:05:23 AM, swphoto@verizon.net writes:
>
> After talking with people on this list, I
> have mail ordered Daniel Smith and M. Graham pigments
>
> If you are planning on using the M. Graham watercolors out of the
> tubes, please note that, if I am not mistaken, they use honey as part
> of the binder.

Yes, and so does Sennelier. At any rate the honey in the M. Graham
doesn't affect gum printing negatively; as I said earlier M.Graham was
the first watercolor paint I used for gum printing and remains my
favorite. And the honey keeps the paint from drying up in the tube,
forever.

My sentiments about Winsor & Newton are well-known; I'm not real
impressed with the company. My complaint isn't with the quality of the
paint, which no doubt is good enough, but with some of their marketing
strategies, and their lightfastness ratings; if interested in reading
more about that you can read it at

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/pigment.html

(scroll down to the section on permanence, under the larger heading
"Characteristics of pigments that are important to gum printing").

To me their paint is overpriced, espcially given that there are other
brands which are just as good, such as Daniel Smith and Graham that
aren't nearly as expensive.

As far as I can tell, Judy and I agree on this point, so it didn't make
sense to me why anyone would think I was taking umbrage with her
statement about Winsor & Newton not being the paint of choice for gum. I
have no argument with that statement whatever, in fact it's what I've
always said. So, no argument; someone was seeing an argument where there
wasn't one is all it boils down to as far as I'm concerned.
Katharine Thayer